Saturday, August 24, 2013

Redemption: a new story of self

Redemption, that is what this year is about for me. Last year I lost my co-teacher, taught alone for 3 weeks, and tried and failed to teach a new teacher how to do her job while continuing to do mine. I left the year feeling defeated, hopeless, and depressed. Many of my students did not reach the accountability goals I set for them. At least 2 of them left the school because their behavior in my class was so atrocious, one of them charged my co-teacher with raised fists, another one crawled in between my kidney table and the wall while screaming and crying. I felt personally responsible for my students’ abandonment issues, their poor behavior, and their academic misgivings. I was depressed for part of the year, not feeling like myself especially when I had to rely on my roommate, MTLD (Manager of Teacher Leadership and Development), and colleagues at work to simply finish the school year. I teacher swapped in two separate classrooms to take a break from my own and was sent home from work one day crying because I was so overwhelmed.
                At the end of the year I was promised a move up to first grade from Kindergarten and the opportunity to co-teach with another 2012 corps member who I respected for her organization and classroom management skills. It was a promise that kept me going through most of April and May when my class was still in disarray and 4 out of the 6 kindergarten teachers had quit. Three weeks before I was supposed to return to school I found out I was being placed with a teacher who was new to the preps. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I started applying for other charter schools near my home in Rochester and had a very difficult conversation with my DCI (Director of Curriculum and Instruction) over the phone during which she told me that they would not be changing their minds about who my co-teacher would be.
                After sulking for several days I contacted my MTLD who helped me come to a difficult but important epiphany, I was projecting all my disappointment and perceived failure onto my new co-teacher, a woman I had never met and never given a chance to. I decided that I was too young to already become so bitter and let my bad experiences inform my new decisions. After our discussion I emailed my new co-teacher with a list of what I hoped to be rapport building questions.

                We have worked hard to create a space where students feel welcomed and it is my hope that they progressively feel a sense of belonging, purpose and honor for each other.  This year may not be perfect but I want to give back the year that was stolen from my kindergartners last year. I want to build our school’s community and thereby win our students’ trust back. We will succeed this year and when we do we will find out what hope really means. Meliora. Ever Better. 

1 comment:

  1. I just finished my first week of school for the 2013-2014 school year. This summer I finished my Master's Degree in Educational Leadership. Over the past 7 years as a teacher, two years as a director of an education non-profit, and two years researching Safe and Drug Free Schools, I have spent countless hours reading research about instruction, learning, classroom climate, and healthy boundaries. In spite of all that, I came home on the first day and bawled my eyes out wondering how I could ever do what God (and the powers that be) could expect me to do what I am expected to do this year. I was sad, angry, bitter, hurt . . . all I could do was pray.

    Then, I got up on Wednesday and went to school again. On Wednesday, I came home laughing, joking, excited about the new year and aware of connections that I made that day that will last for years to come.

    I'm not saying that those extremes are normal or healthy, but I am saying, "This too shall pass." and "He who called you will be faithful to complete it." etc.

    Now, I remember that some of the greatest effect on student success in the classroom (based on Hattie's research), is a personal relationship with the teacher and that the teacher cares. Just because not all your students don't respond to your love and care, doesn't mean that they don't know it's there. I have heard from those who threatened me, argued with me, tried to get me fired, scratched me, etc. that they appreciate that I cared about them. God is faithful Nattie. He really is. Don't look for signs that the world offers. Look for the assurance of Christ. He is looking for lasting fruit in His children (You, me, our students). We are only one step towards growing that fruit in their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving thoughts or suggestions!