Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I just can't stop thinking about the paint

9.11.12
     It all started when my friends Montre, Ryan, and Chaos (named changed) had to sit out of free choice at the end of our day last Friday because of hitting, bumping, or talking out turn more than once throughout the day. I went to the carpet where they were commiserating with each other to talk with them about how to change their behavior so they would get to participate in fun activities next time. I sat down with Montre first who was crying. I first employed what I am calling the (patent pending) Miss Scott breathing routine... talk 3 deep breaths, get a tissue, by the time you walk back I need you to tell me what is the matter in an adult voice. Next, I told Montre he was sitting out because he had pushed past his neighbors to get back to his desk. When I asked him why he did it he said that he was trying to get back to his desk because I had told all the students to get there quickly. I asked him if it was ever ok to push someone to follow another direction (ethical dilemma for a Kindergartner). He said no and I proceeded to ask him what he would do next time. He told he would "wait patiently" until all the other scholars (what our school calls students) to get back to their desks before he tried to get back to his. I told him I was proud that he had come up with what he needed to do next time, but that he was still going to have to sit out of painting (our free choice for the afternoon) because of his actions. I moved on to my next sobbing Kindergartner to discuss why he was sitting out of painting. About 3 minutes into my conversation with sobbing Kindergartner number 2 Montre crawls over to me looks up at me with bloodshot eyes and tear stained cheeks and says.... "I just can't stop thinking about that paint." with all the sincerity a 5 year can muster. I had to hold in the chuckle building inside so he didn't get the drift that I didn't take his emotions seriously. I told him he was just going to have to try and change how he was thinking.
         And so begins a new week just waiting for more great stories to unfold. I'm praying especially for ideas to reach a Chinese student I have who speaks almost zero English and is incredibly active. I have been unsuccessful so far in keeping his attention for an entire lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving thoughts or suggestions!