Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Overheard in CSU

       At my school each classroom is themed as a college or university to make our students aware of college at a young age and encourage them to see themselves there. My classroom is themed after Cleveland State University (CSU). This week I am teaching my students about the Viking (our mascot) Virtue of Courage. I was so proud today when I had a scholar, who is currently in the middle of a custody battle and appears to have sustained some type of emotional disturbance, wrote his name on his paper for the first time.
     This week I just wanted to regale you with some things I have caught my Vikings saying....
At a conversation I had during lunch:
Student 1: My grandma ran over a deer and it was dead
STudent 2: (continuing the conversation?) and my brother got a buzz lightyear for Christmas and we had to go clean out our closets to make room for the new toys

Me: How could I be a better teacher?
Student: Taller lockers. I am big and tall, see? (stands up to show me)

Student: Miss Scott can we snack up the chairs?
Me: snack them up or stack them up?
Student: snack them
Me: Yes you can STACK them.

    Now to the tougher part of my job. I have a student who has missed over 10 days of school (1/3 of the year so far). After talking with mom, I found out that she is the victim of domestic violence and currently being stalked by the father of her son, which was her excuse for not bringing him to school. I decided to call everyday at 7:00 am to make sure she was on the bus with her son. The student is in my lowest group and has yet to independently write his name. He came to school today, but we have a long road ahead. Please pray for the mom and the son.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving thoughts or suggestions!